Dietrich Klaus Hartmann
Die ehemalige katholische Pfarrkirche St. Georg in BurladingenArchäologische Berichte
Even though the former parish church of St. Georg at Burladingen, Germany, nowadays appears as an example of late baroque architecture, archaeological excavations in 1982 showed a number of previous buildings, of which the oldest one dates back to the 8th century. For the first time, the important results of this excavation, showing the typical evolution of a rural parish church in south-western Germany, will be presented within this volume. The initial phase is characterised by a small early medieval church, erected on a preexisting churchyard. Several times rebuilt during the following centuries, the current building is the result of a major reconstruction in 1770. Unusual in the context of church excavations, a rather large number of finds – especially ceramics – was recorded. This major addition to the fairly small corpus of relics in the area is used to extend the knowledge of the material culture in the region. This publication is part of a multi-volume project by the author, of which the first section, an overview of rural churches in the south-eastern area of Baden-Württemberg, was published in 2019.
After training as a precision mechanic, Dietrich Klaus Hartmann (b. 1936) studied electrical engineering at the University for Applied Sciences “Carl Friedrich Gauss Berlin”. Following 35 year working as a professional in the international computing industry in relation with ISO, he began his university studies in prehistory, archaeology, art history and geology at the university of Tübingen, graduating with his M.A. in 2006. During that time he volunteered at a number of historical societies. In 2017 he completed his doctoral thesis after studying at the universities of Basel and Münster. Since then he worked on several unpublished archaeological excavations within the responsibility of the Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Baden-Württemberg.