Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum – Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Archäologie (RGZM)
The Romano-Germanic Central Museum (RGZM) is an archaeological research institute funded by the German federal government and by the federal states. It is part of the Leibniz Association of German research institutions. The institute is divided into several departments which are dedicated to the Old World and its contact zones from the Paleolithic Period until the middle ages. In addition it maintains a permanent display collection and addresses the general public with a large number of publications and events focused on disseminating current research results.
Temporary research foci are formed inter-divisionally and cross-periodically, bringing together scholars from different departments to work on historico-cultural questions, concerning the following topics:
- Becoming Human: the evolution of human behaviour
- Studies on the dynamics of Neolithical Societies (nlDynamics)
- Archaeological studies on exchange and adjustment processes in the zones of periphery
- Forms of Romanisation in the border provinces of the Roman Empire on the Rhine and Danube
- Studies of the structure and technique of ancient seafaring in the Mediterranean
- Workshops and trade in the Byzantine Empire
- The development of an industrial landscape – the ancient quarry and mining district between the Eifel and the Rhine
- For the sake of salvation and happiness in life: Studies on Byzantine pilgrimage and its origins
For more than 30 years the RGZM have had their own publishing house, which is not only responsible for scientific editing but also for producing books in-house. This ensures great independence, and the museum as well as the authors benefit from the expertise of the publishing house, its great flexibility, and its network.
The publishing house of the RZGM publishes three research journals (Jahrbuch des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums Mainz ; Archäologisches Korrespondenzblatt; Restaurierung und Archäologie), which are available online in open access via Propylaeum, as well as several monographs with current research results from the RZGM. Additionally the publishing house prints results by external international researchers, provided that they are of interest to the scientific questions and goals of the RGZM. Furthermore, the exhibition catalogues, and popular science books, inform the greater public about current research (see publishing program).
In cooperation with Propylaeum-eBOOKS volumes of the following series have been published online in open access:
RGZM | Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum
Forschungsinstitut für Archäologie
Tel.: +49 6131 9124 0
Fax: +49 6131 9124 199
Dr. Reinhard Köster
Dr. Claudia Nickel